Saturday, July 26, 2008

book club babes!

i dont know if they'll like being called babes - but by way of explanation, i must say that it's a term of endearment with me. i call my nieces babes, i refer to my mother as a very funny and smart babe (may she rest in peace as well as fiesty joy!). so, girls of the juhu book club. for me the word babe is someone who is funny, smart, has much to say for herself and is totally comfortable in her shoes, and is full of grace too. mrs sheth (senior) was the leading babe, i tell you. soft spoken, focused, graceful, and articulate (and she loved my book!).
3 ZM was the book-of-the-month at this book club based in jvpd, mumbai. and i was invited to go chat with them on the 22nd of July. what was wonderful for me as the writer about this 2 hour session (punctuated by outstanding banana and walnut cake and sandwiches) was the sheer energy in that room. they had read the book, marked passages (go read my piece called Scribbling in Books - Under the Isnt it Odd label), were quoting from it, arguing about characters and situations, open about their admiration and quite open about what didnt work for them too. while no doubt, as geeta sehgal who first contacted me, said that it's a great experience to have the author of the book present to interact with, for me, it was hugely illuminating for me to hear so many well-read and articulate voices saying so much about 3 Zakia Mansion.
thanks babes!

1 comment:

dipali said...

I want to interact with the author too! Please have a launch/book club meet in Kolkata.Pliss?