Thursday, March 15, 2007

About me



1. Last great book I read: White Nile, by Alan Moorehead.

2. Most humbling moment: when I met Mother Teresa. Oh, sorry, I forgot this is not the Miss World Pageant. Ok, it's when a well-known Indian playwright told me that his best work was written when he was surrounded by the most mundane and tedious demands of family life, in a 450 sq ft Mumbai apartment; and that seclusion and cloistering were simply postures that a real writer doesn't need.

3. Celebrity I resemble most: Sachin Tendulkar (face, not voice) Greta Garbo ("I vaant to be alone").


4. If I could be anywhere at the moment: Ngorongoro, Tanzania


5. In my bedroom, you will find: much dog fur and a lot of earrings. Go figure.


6. Favorite on-screen sex scene: Picturization of the song 'Tumse kaho ik baat parose, halki, halki' from Dastak – Sanjeev Kumar & Rehana Sultan. (Everyone's fully clothed)


7. The 5 items I can't live without: soft board, hair-serum, oven gloves, binoculars, car stereo. I also never leave the house without my jerk-meter (sadly, it doesn't always work accurately).


8. Best/worst lie I've ever told: "I'd love to see photos of your trip/wedding/party." (I have to tell this lie often. I wish there was a way to say "I think I'll pass on that.").


9. Song/album that puts me in the mood: So many for so many different moods: Tabun's instrumentals while working; Bhimsen's Chaya-Nat for a still afternoon; Sting's A Thousand Years for driving; Kumar Gandharva's Aaj achanak for getting stirred; Begum Akhtar for when you want to smile ruefully; Omkarnath's Nilambari for when I'm dying…


10. Fill in blanks: High EQ is sexy, and coupled with a bizarre sense of humour is sexier.


11. Last great film I saw: 'Lost in Translation'


12. My childhood dream: World peace and saving whales…oh sorry, this is not the Miss India pageant. Well, till the age of eleven I wanted to own a baby donkey.


13. What I should really be doing with my life: More or less what I'm doing now. Plus learning to pull out only as much dental floss as I need.


14. 5 words that describe me: perceptive, candid, musical, jagged, abrupt


15. It drives me crazy when: Indians behave covertly racist in every continent that they inhabit. I also don't like it when people first ask you what you'll have to drink and then tell you there's no beer in the fridge.